Since I’ve become a dentist, the advancements have been growing exponentially.
Here are just a handful of the exciting new techniques in the field:
- We now use lasers to cut teeth with no anesthesia.
- CAD cam or three dimensional technology is used to fabricate teeth within a day in the dental office.
- The implant field is exploding. Dentures are becoming a thing of the past.
- We now offer screenings for oral cancer and sleep-related breathing disorders like sleep apnea. A CBCT scan can be performed to visualize the patient’s airway for constriction. This scan also tells us if there are sinus or TMJ issues. For patients with sleep apnea, mouth appliances can be made to pull the jaw forward and open the airway.
- Children have their teeth sealed off to prevent tooth decay by 99.9%.
- Invisalign, or aligner tray tooth straightening is offered instead of orthodontic braces, which is less cumbersome and more comfortable for the patient.
- When teeth are lost, bone grafting is performed to eliminate deformity in the bone and to enhance implant placement.
Dentistry is moving exponentially toward greater degrees of oral/systemic care.
The newest advancement in dentistry is using stem cells to grow new teeth! Stay tuned...