Here is a compilation of some interesting facts about the teeth, most of which you may not be aware of. Although there are intriguing facts that might raise some questions and some of these were told by our elders. Fact is, dental health
is a science in itself and there is a lot more to it than it appears.
Did you know?
- Prehistoric children never have to brush their teeth not because they don’t have toothpaste, but because they didn’t eat sugar.
- Babies as well as toddlers ranging in ages 5-6 have 20 baby teeth.
- Adults have 32 permanent teeth including the 4 wisdom teeth.
- Cats have 30 teeth.
- Dogs have 42 teeth.
- There is one out of 2000 babies are born with a tooth.
- The tooth is as unique as the fingerprints and identical twins have different patterns.
- Before toothpaste was invented, people use powdered chalk, charcoal, lemon juice, ashes (left over’s of the fire or burned wood), and also tobacco – all mixed together.
- Even backing soda is good for cleaning and whitening the teeth.
- As a common practice by putting the cap on the toothbrush may lead to bacterial growth and is not hygienic practice.
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda every day have a more chance in getting tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss.
- China invented the first toothbrush with bristles.
- Ingesting fluoridated toothpaste especially by children can lead to fluoride poisoning.
- After getting the flu, cold and other viral infections, toothbrushes need to be replaced.
- The enamel that is at the top surface of our tooth is the hardest part of our body.
- Teeth already start forming even before babies are born.
- There are 4 different teeth classifications namely – incisors, canine, premolars and the molars.
- A lot of the diseases are linked to oral health such as heart disease, osteoporosis and the dreaded diabetes.
- A gum disease can lead to the development of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, pre-term births and respiratory diseases.
- Only 2/3 of our teeth are exposed – 1/3 is still in the gums.
- Cheese is healthy for your teeth – calcium and phosphorous are found in cheese which is needed by the teeth to help reduce the PH level in plaque.
- An average woman smiles about 62 times in a day while the man is only 8.
- Coffee, wine, cigarettes and tobacco can stain teeth.
- For right-handed individuals, they chew their food on the right side; while the left-handed chews on their left side.
- It is not advisable to brush within 6 feet from the toilet because any airborne particles from the flush can travel of up to an estimated 6 feet.
- Babies – especially the new born do not have any bacteria in their mouth. It can only come from the mother when she kisses her child or blows some hot food when feeding the baby.
- There are herbs that have been found to have chemicals to combat oral diseases.
- The Grand Rapids in Michigan City is the first in the US to provide protection for their citizen by fluoridating their water.
Remember to take care of your health by taking care of your teeth. Having a great smile – with a healthy set of teeth is a great asset!